Eastoft Church of England Primary School

Eastoft Primary School

Eastoft Church of England Primary School


Eastoft Church of England Primary School
Yorkshireside
Eastoft
Scunthorpe
North Lincolnshire
DN17 4PG

 

Telephone: 01724 798274
Fax: 01724 798920
Website: http://www.eastoft.n-lincs.sch.uk
Email Address: admin.eastoft@northlincs.gov.uk

School Associations

Friends of Eastoft School
is a committee of parents, who’s aim is to raise funds to help support Eastoft Primary school through fundraising.
Web Site www.facebook.com/pg/FriendsofEastoftSchool
Email Address: friendsofeastoftschool@gmail.com

The Old Village School 1846

The Rev. Frank Sugden, Vicar of Adlingfleet, appointed a schoolmistress in October 1845 to teach 60 children in two classes in a small cottage at Eastoft The children in the two classes had to attend at different times as the room was so small the maximum number of children who could be accommodated at one time was 30. The strain was endangering the health of the teacher.

On March 12th, 1846, the above named Vicar of Adlingfleet launched his scheme for the building of a school house and a teachers residence.

1845 School Rules

The land for the school was given by the Rev. C. Constable to trustees including the Vicar of Adlingfleet, but with the proviso that if Eastoft became a separate ecclesiastical district, the officiating minister resident in the district should become a co-trustee.

The Vicar of Adlingfleet planned to ask the Bishop to license the schoolroom for divine worship until such time as a chapel of ease should be built.

The farmers offered free carting, but local contributions in money were difficult to find. Mr, Sugden hoped to engage a married couple at between £55—£70 per annum, the wife to take charge of Eastoft School, the husband to teach special subjects, including singing, at Eastoft and two other schools under his care.

Eastoft School Headmaster Harry Hudson

2nd Lieutenant, 177th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (Special Reserve), died of wounds,

Harry enlisted in the army as Gunner 113460 with the Royal Garrison Artillery Special Reserve at Goole on 20th November 1915,

Harry Hudson died of his wounds 26th April, 1918, aged 29

He is buried in Haringhe (Bandaghem) Military Cemetery.

A memorial service was held for Harry in St Bartholemew’s Church on Sunday 5th May 1918. The Church was full and Eastoft Volunteer Training Corps were in attendance.

The New Village School 1961

THE condition of the old School was of a serious nature due mainly to foundation failure through subsidence causing the building to lean, bulge and fracture. First aid repairs had to be carried out in the form of ties, props and struts until such time as the new School could be built and the children transferred. The old School was then demolished and the party wall between it and the School House made secure and watertight.

Opening Ceremony

Due to the limited bearing capacity of the ground, a light type of structure was designed for the new School comprising in the main of prefabricated units. The superstructure was built on a reinforced concrete raft type foundation to spread the load and counteract damage due to any possible future movement in the ground.

Externally, the School is clad with varnished mahogany boarding with panels of grey brickwork, the Kitchen and Boiler House section being built in traditional red brickwork. The prefabricated structure has been adequately insulated against heat loss.

Floor finishes are woodblock to the Assembly Hall, Thermoplastic Tile to the Infants Classroom, Entrance Hall, Cloaks and Staff Room and Quarry tile to the Toilets and Kitchen. Heating is by oil,